Friday, August 29, 2014

Blog Post #2

I've started to research topics for the genealogy project and actually had a lot harder time that I expected. I still haven't decided which version of the essay I am going to approach, but I have come up with a few ideas that hopefully will work. I'm hoping to get opinions on which approach to take from my classmates and you.

Idea 1: The three pieces of text I could potentially use all have to do with the quote "Home is where the heart is". The first text is a song by Kenny Loggins, "Your Heart Will Lead You Home", the second is a song by Parmalee, "Carolina", and the third is a song by Lady Antebellum, " Home Is Where The Heart Is". The problem I am facing with this particular idea is that the initial quote is one that most people know, but it doesn't necessarily come from anywhere. I don't exactly know how I would explain how each text has transformed, or how they have been copied from something. I'm stuck on the fact that they all relate to the same idea...

Idea 2: For this idea I focused on the rose and how it has appeared in different texts. The first text is a poem/song written by Tupac, "The Rose That Great From Concrete", the second is the enchanted rose from Beauty and The Beast, and the third is the song "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison. For this idea I would talk about how the history of the rose outlines its significance with not only love and romance, but also beauty and perfection. The idea of perfection with the rose is copied and transformed in different ways in each of these texts.

Idea 3: The last idea I had was to focus on the different versions of "Mary Had A Little Lamb". The four texts I plan to use are the original nursery rhyme and story of Mary Sawyer, the crunk remix "Mary Had a Little Lamb"by Lil Jon, a version of the song by Stevie Ray Vaughn, and the use of the song in horror movies. I think this idea would be a stronger approach to being able to fully analyze the copying and transformation of this particular semiotic unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment