Sunday, September 7, 2014

Blog 3

            As I read the article: Plagiarism, Originality, Assemblage written by Johndan Johnson-Eilola and Stuart A. Selber I got a better understanding of what an assemblage is compared to a remix and what is the define line between plagiarism and originality. The article talked a lot about composition today and brought many things to my attention about what we consider original and plagiarized in writing.
            As I read the reading, I felt that Johnson-Eilola and Selber’s concept of assemblages was very similar to the concept of remixes. Assemblages are “texts built primarily and explicitly from existing texts in order to solve a writing or communication problem in a new context.” A remix is practically the same thing where many writers or artists combine different ideas into one to create a new idea that is different and they can call their own. What makes assemblages unique is that writers use two powerful concepts: intertextuality and citation to work together and encompass the ideas of others into one new idea. In related to a remix, it is the same thing. You have to realize in today’s world of rhetoric and composition, new ideas are hardly ever created without the help of other people and their input or already created ideas. In this case everything is an assemblage or a remix but there are just higher extents of it.
            The line we draw between plagiarism and originality is very distinct. When it comes to plagiarism it simply means that you have taken the ideas or words from someone else and strictly used them as your own without giving credit to that person. But an original can use other information and ideas combined together with some of your own to create and new one but only if credit is given to the information you’ve borrowed from. Many teachers push for originality from students but at the same time they encourage you to build ideas off of pre-existing ones.

            After I finished reading this article, the confusion I had on what an assemblage was was cleared and I understood how it played a role within plagiarism and originality. I also understood that plagiarism is not considered plagiarism as long as you identify and give credit to whom you got that idea from.

No comments:

Post a Comment