Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Blog #5

The semiotic unit I evaluated in my genealogy essay was the rose flower. In the coming remediation assignment I intend to create yet another picture of how the rose flower has developed over time, but by using a completely different medium. The three audiences I have brainstormed ideas for are a children's group, an adult group, and people that like abstract art.

Personally, I have always been a visual learner, and I prefer to see something before I believe it. For this reason, I have decided to make my remediation a physical media, or tangible object. For the children's audience I have brainstormed an idea that would have large wooden letters that spell out ENCHANTED ROSE, sort of like a bedroom decoration. In each letter I would have pictures, beginning with the oldest text ("Beauty and The Beast"), and filling up about half of the letters, followed by pictures of the later text (Tupac's poem). The pictures in the letters would stem directly from the "Beauty and The Beast" movie, and would also be animated and chosen to symbolize Tupac's poem's purpose. In the back of the letters would be a crank that plays Poison's hit "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". I also thought about putting lyrics in the letters.

For the adult audience I would create some kind of homemade newspaper. I would have the very first page as the introduction and history of the rose flower, followed by pages designated specifically to each of the three texts discussed in my genealogy essay. I would highlight more specifics on each page for each text and I would incorporate more visuals, like pictures, and different fonts and colors. I think this idea would give me better range for incorporating all of the ideas that were in my essay, and I could also set aside space to emphasize points I think are key.

For those that like abstract art I was thinking of doing something more along the lines of a collage. For this one I would try to express how the rose had different meanings in each of the three texts by using pictures. I would use random pictures, not necessarily pictures of the exact rose from "Beauty and The Beast", but rather roses that also show what the messages from each of the texts were. For example, with Tupac's song I could show a picture of a rose growing through concrete, and I could also show a picture of someone overcoming adversity and sprouting beauty and strength like the rose symbolized in the text.

So far, after brainstorming ideas, my favorite is the adult audience with the handmade newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment