Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Blog post 2

For this genealogy project, I plan on taking the “semiotic unit” approach. Personally, I prefer this method and find it to be the more interesting approach. The ideas I have are:

Idea 1: For my first idea I plan to use Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet as my semiotic unit. I will show how this text has been portrayed and altered into many works through history. For example, through movies such as, “Romeo + Juliet”,  “West Side Story”, “Gnomeo and Juliet”, “Warm Bodies”. All these films are entirely different in themselves with their plots, however they all come together with the one connection of the tragic love story of Romeo and Juliet.

Idea 2: Using Mary Shelley’s book, Frankenstein as my semiotic unit. With that I can compare the original to more modern works like “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”, “ Young Frankenstein”, “Frankenweenie”, “Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein” and even TV shows like “The Munsters.” With such a large variety of options for this choice I will be able to analyze so many different approaches, ranging from comedy to horror, audience types from kids to adults.


Idea 3: My final idea is to use all female singing groups as my semiotic unit. With this idea I can trace back to girl bands though out the ages ranging from groups like TLC, The Spice Girls, Destiny's Child, and even Fifth Harmony. I will show how diverse all these groups are with their style both musically to physically, and their sales, scandals, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment