Saturday, September 6, 2014

Blog Post #3

The part of the reading which mentions the respect for citations is valued more than originality interesting because in the past I often wondered why professors focus heavily on correct citation more than the actual content and analysis of the work. Giving credit to the author is vital, but I think only when the student is legitimately trying to claim his words is the students then the professor should intervene. Since the article does not make a clear cut answer to the line of originality and plagiarism, I also agree there is not a definite line between the two. Since writers research before writing, the idea of originality is increasingly more difficult to find the source of inspiration. 
Assemblage is focused primarily on what works in a social or new setting whereas a remix does not necessarily have "to work". Assemblages are basically pragmatic for the time because they are described as something that works for new settings and can change based on popular culture and cultural biases. However, the article states assemblage and remixes are synonymous in some texts. Both assemblage and remixes uses parts of other works to produce a revised or edited version of a piece of work to provide a new "spin off" of another piece. Assemblages are novel in the writing field but should be considered a form of writing since they are inevitably coming a part of writing.
I also found the patching writing concept similar to the person who rewrote The Great Gatsby to get the feel of what it was like to write a great novel. I agree with the idea of using the technique as practice because people can learn how to write in a certain style and base their ideas from the said style.
The article places emphasis on the remixing of web pages layouts, which I find interesting since people are often quick to criticize originality especially online. Websites most likely have similar formats to make web navigation more user friendly since most people on the internet do not have extensive knowledge about how computers work. I am often condemned by people since I have little knowledge of computers since I am deemed as part of the "technology generation" but I feel user friendly formatting is relatively harmless. 
Additionally, I enjoyed how the article itself was a collection of different sources and how people often frown upon the use of taking parts of other works and remaking the work. Also, the idea of web blogs are considered remixes, which often provide opinions on information from what people consume. Personally, I feel originality is based on how people can manipulate the world around them and how people learn from the observation phases of their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment