In Richards’s article, he is basically trying to
express what the meaning of words and how words cannot really be considered
good or bad. He explains how words usually rely on their surrounding words. Those
surrounding words especially in a sentence are the ones that give words their
meaning. Depending on how frequently the word is used or the uses of the word
is how it is also assigned its meaning. Weather a word is used differently, the
meaning of the word stays the same. Overall, Richard’s is basically trying to
give a clear explanation of words and what makes them what they are. He describes words as just words, just that. I
believe that Richard is trying to convey that words are remixed, but not quite
sure. I am confused about how remix connects to words. What I had trouble with
was the triangle and the connection he was trying to illuminate between
thoughts, referent, and symbol. Words have a connection with remix because
through time we alter words and recycle them in different sentences and ways
that are diverse. Another part in Richards’s articles that I stumbled upon was
what he ended with the “Theorem of meaning”. I understand that people are worried about
with cause and effect how biased follows this pattern, but I do not quite comprehend
the result aspect and what happens due to the fact and why this idea is often
rejected.
No comments:
Post a Comment